Keep it cool and keep it running
When you discover an unexpected EMI problem late in your project life cycle it can be very expensive to fix. The cost to fix this early in the development phase can be easily managed with a solution from Acal BFi and MTC. If left undetected, the cost will dramatically increase over the course of the project and could result in recalling products that have already been delivered or even installed. This will cost you time, money and your reputation.
Acal BFi and MTC offer many standard and fully custom-designed one-piece and two-piece board-level shields. And of course our industry leading one-piece clip-on shield. We offer many standard shapes and sizes and THT is supported for customer specific designs. They provide you with the required shielding, facilitate an optimized production process and are available in Tape and Reel or Tray packaging.
Fight the EMI directly at its source – with board-level shielding
Most of the classical EMI shielding solutions, like gaskets, seals, tapes, contact springs, vent panels, etc. aim to fight the radiation at the housing or cabinet level. It is advisable, and sometimes even necessary, to shield the interference source directly on the Printed Circuit Board (e.g. to comply with EMC laws or simply to ensure proper operation). Our engineers can help find you the best solution to effectively, and efficiently solve your EMI problem whether it’s MTC’s one-piece clip-on, standard one-piece or two-piece board-level shield.
Unique one-piece shield that clips on
The MTC one-piece shield with clips provides you with the ultimate shielding solution. It is only one part, but instead of being directly soldered onto the PCB it is fixed by SMT soldered clips. Features include:
• Maximum flexibility by combining the benefits of our standard one and two piece soldered shields
• Only one piece for easier handling
• Electronic components are easily accessible at any time due to fully removable shield (e.g. no obstruction during Automated Optical Inspection)
• The placement of the soldered clips is fully automated using SMT
• This is the optimal solution when space is very limited (typical applications include mobile phones, GPS modules, LCDs, etc.)
• The perfect solution for small to medium volumes (several hundred to a few thousand pieces) or for larger volumes if Automated Optical Inspection is required
One-piece shield for soldering
The MTC one-piece shields are a metallic housing consisting of five sides. The sixth side is left open and is soldered directly onto the PCB. It connects to the electrical grounding path of the board so the PCB’s ground plane forms the sixth shielding side. Features include:
• Low-cost shielding option
• High shielding performance
• Fully automated pick and place
• Simple mounting process (by THT or SMT)
Two-piece shield for soldering
The MTC two-piece shields use the same mounting technology as the one-piece version, but consist of a lower body (called the fence) and a lid. The lid is clipped onto the fence after soldering it onto the PCB. Features include:
• It has the same advantages as the one-piece
• The device is still accessible (e.g. for inspection) after the fence is soldered and before lid is clipped on
• As the lid is removable and it can be re-opened
• The installation of the fence can be fully automated (the lid is usually mounted manually for small to medium quantities, but it is possible to automate installation using custom-designed machinery for large volumes)
• The lid can be delivered pre-assembled on the fence to enable one step automated mounting
Meet and learn!
Meet our Power and Magnetics specialists on the Power Electronics 2017! Register here for your free entrance. Nice to meet you at our booth!